Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tiritiri Matangi

Silver Fern
I have just crawled out of my sweatpants after a week of being sick as. This however didn't stop me from going on an day adventure last Saturday. The weather was absolutely perfect and I couldn't pass up a day in the sun on an island, well a smaller island.
Tiritiri Matangi is a small island about and hour and a quarter north of Auckland by ferry. It has been a bird sanctuary since the 1980s and is a host of preserved fauna, flora, and native and endangered bird species. The ferry leaves the warf at 930am and drops you off for a day of nature and hiking with a 1530 return. We packed our hiking bags and as usual expected a more arduous trek than we received. So as not to spoil tradition the we hiked the entire outskirts of the 220-hectare island in half the expected time, leaving plenty of time to lay in the grass and enjoy the views. It was truly paradise.



Sadly the rest of my week really has been in a pretty pathetic state. I will hopefully be back to a descent condition for my half birthday celebrations and a peacefully weekend alone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment