Friday, May 3, 2013

Oz

  After a weekend of overnight babysitting - which went remarkably well, I spent the last week of April in Australia. Having spent one year plus in New Zealand the appeal to go "across the ditch" had actually waned  so much that without the obvious ease of travel I am not sure I would have even gone to Australia. Thank goodness for my love of adventure and travel, as I would have surely regretted not going.
  Five days in total, with two in Melbourne and two in Sydney and another day eaten away day, by day in travel gave me a quick, yet fulfilling holiday.
 Wednesday I flew, very early to Melbourne (about a 4.5 hr flight) and spent the entire day walking around the enchanting city. The integration of the modern/industrial infrastructure with the grandeur of the architecture of 19/20th, height of the British Empire, buildings perfectly compliments marvelously laid out city. Not only is it a very friendly tourist city, but it is easy to see why it is consistently rated one of the most "livable" cites in the world.
 Thursday was ANZAC day and I started with a wander downtown to the parade. A visit to the Shrine of Remembrance after an overwhelming but enlightening visit to the National Gallery of Victoria allowed me to round out my cultural day with the rugby league match. The NZ Warriors were ahead the first half, but the game ended with a close loss to the Melbourne Storm.
 Friday brought an easy domestic flight to Sydney (1.5 hr flight), a bus ride, a taxi, and a shuttle to get me to my hideous backpackers in King Cross. Which lead me to Saturday full of Sydney sights and back to Auckland on Sunday.































No comments:

Post a Comment